This vegan mushroom tetrazzini is a yummy addition to your meatless Monday rotation. It’s also Whole30 friendly so it’s as healthy as it is tasty. My mom used to make a chicken tetrazzini growing up and I wanted to try to my hand at making my own version. Tetrazinni is most often made with cream of mushroom soup. I used this yummy recipe as the base with a couple of modifications and then freewheeled the rest:) The spaghetti squash and mushrooms make it hearty and the fresh thyme and parsley add to the depth of flavor. It’s topped with almond flour & nutritional yeast to make a delicate ‘crust’, adding a nice texture and a little bit of that cheesy taste. I would recommend buying mushrooms sliced to cut down on prep time. And the Instant Pot is clutch to cook the spaghetti squash in record time. Once all your prep is done, it comes together quickly. Also, if you want to up the protein feel free to add some rotisserie chicken. Otherwise, enjoy this meatless main on Mondays or any other day really!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
6 TBS vegan butter (check for compliance or substitute ghee, or clarified butter)
1 spaghetti squash, cooked
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, minced
2.5 cups veggie broth
2 TBS fresh thyme
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
2 TBS arrowroot flour
1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
S&P to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half height-wise (this way the strands are longer and more spaghetti like once cooked).
- Place trivet into bottom of Instant Pot and pour 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pot.
- Arrange spaghetti squash on top of trivet, cut side down.
- Set Instant Pot to 7 minutes on high pressure, making sure steam valve is closed.
- Once 7 minutes is up, manual release pressure and let cool. Once cool, press as much water as possible out of cooked squash.
- Set in large mixing bowl and set aside.
- While squash cooks, in a large pot, heat 2 TBS vegan butter over medium heat.
- Stir in onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and 2 more TBS vegan butter and turn heat up to medium-high. Stir and cook for about 5-7 minutes until mushrooms start to brown.
- Add thyme, a pinch of salt, and remaining 2 TBS of vegan butter.
- Add the arrowroot flour and stir to combine (this will act as a thickener).
- Add broth slowly, stirring to full incorporate.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce and let simmer for about ten minutes, until you see the soup start to thicken.
- While this cooks, in a small bowl, combine almond flour & nutritional yeast and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Once thickened, add coconut and almond milk and let incorporate an additional 2-3 minutes.
- S&P to taste.
- To mixing bowl of spaghetti squash add parsley and mushroom soup. Stir until evenly coated. *Note: depending on how big your spaghetti squash is, you may have to use only some of the mushroom soup you made or all. Add enough so that it’s nicely coated but not necessarily soupy.
- S&P to taste.
- Transfer mixture to an oven safe baking dish and top with flour & nutritional yeast mix.
- Cook 25-30 minutes until liquid is bubbling. To brown top, turn on broiler for last minute or two watching to make sure it doesn’t burn.